Monday, October 30, 2006

Dear Diary Monday...

The hardest part of being a pet "owner" is knowing when it is time to say good-bye. This morning I said good-bye to two of my oldest and most loved pets....Tinkerbell and Toby. Tinker's seizures came back with a venegance on Saturday....he had two horrible ones that day and by this morning, had decided that he know longer found food interesting....which is completely opposite of how he normally is. He was lethargic and would only walk a few paces before he had to lay down and completely flat so he could catch his breath. Toby, this morning, could not walk without help. He would stumble and fall and act like he was not really sure where he was and had also not eaten since yesterday morning....which was minimal. Both he and Tinker were up all night coughing...the cough that comes with congestive heart failure. As hard as it was, I knew it was time....it was too much of a struggle for them to continue on and it was killing my Mom watching it day in and day out. They both let me know in their own way that it was time. I called the vet and The Powers That Be must have known I would need help, because my absolute favorite vet tech, Holly, answered the phone and walked me through it, including letting me decide when to come, which was right when I got off the phone. My Mom and I packed the pups into the car and headed to the vet.....both lying very still in the car letting us know it was okay, that they were ready. We signed all the papers and Holly took a look at me and said it would probably be easier for me to remember them the way that they were and not to watch them pass....she promised to be with them and it would be quick.....and it was. I will be picking up their ashes in a couple of weeks. As hard as this is, as horrible as I feel, I know it was for the best and I am glad they went together....the only way I could have imagined them going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home